Thursday 22 October 2009

F is for felting




















It all came as a bit of a revelation about 3 years ago. Whilst travelling in New Zealand, I came across the website http://www.creativetourism.co.nz/index.html
Through it, I was able to book into classes in wood-turning, glass-fusing and felting. I had the least expectations of the felting, having an image of it as being a little bit rough around the edges and anything but sophisticated. How wrong I was.
On our return to Edinburgh, I started looking around for courses that would build on the 2 days I had spent with Mary Andrews. I booked onto an evening course at the Edinburgh College of Art before I even knew how I was going to pay for it (luckily we did manage to get jobs fairly soon afterwards).
Since then, I have followed other courses at the Art College and in Newburgh (a hugely active community including the fabulous http://www.twistfibrecraft.co.uk/) and now hold my own classes. Felting has become a huge part of my life; more than just a hobby.
But it's not the first F-word to have held me in its thrall. More in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment